ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Jun 9, 2011

Thoroughly Disturbed

Tyrone Spellman, 27, of Philadelphia, was convicted of third-degree murder for killing his 17-month old daughter in a rage over a broken Xbox.

Ohio teen Daniel Petric shot his parents, killing his mother, after they took away his copy of Halo 3 in October 2007.

New Mexico woman Rebecca Colleen Christie was convicted of second degree murder and child abandonment, and sentenced to 25 years in prison, for allowing her 3 and a half-year-old daughter to die of malnutrition and dehydration while occupied with chatting and playing World of Warcraft online.

In November 2010 in South Philadelphia, Kendall Anderson, 16, killed his mother for taking away his PlayStation by hitting her 20 times with a claw hammer while she slept.

ARE THESE STORIES REAL!?!?


I am pretty sure I am way behind. 
(I know I am)
But I had NO IDEA these stories existed and I cannot help but be thoroughly disturbed.
Somehow,  I can't remember how, the topic of "world of war craft" came up.
Today was the first day I had ever even heard of it.
L-HAM was showing me what it was all about and we stumbled upon 
the "notable deaths" (as they refer to them) occurring during or because
of video games.

So far there are notable deaths in:
China
South Korea
Netherlands
United States
and
Canada

Obviously this is a tiny part of the population
BUT STILL
I am in utter shock that these stories even exist.
These people actually get to the point where their cyber world becomes
THEIR REALITY!?
So much so that they would starve themselves and their family members.
Where do the instincts to survive come in?
I am just so so confused how this is even possible.

All I know, is that this is just another testament of how wonderful and terrible the internet can be.
It blows my mind how something can bring so much good and so much horror at the same time.

Even though these are extreme cases, (very very  VERY extreme)
it is a good reminder to always be careful with our use of the internet, who we communicate to,
who we "look" at, and the precious time that may or may not be using wisely.
It was a good reminder for me anyway...
well on that depressing note.

hope everyone enjoyed a joyous june, 8 2011! :) haha 
Daron and I are going to watch the next episode of
AMERICA: the story of us



This 12 episode documentary is fabulous and actually really helps at educating me!
For some reason I remember the info more when I watch it then when I read it out of a text book.
I think that is a bad thing.
Oh well.
I recommend it. Very uplifting!





1 comment:

  1. ahh right! it's terrible what has happend. when i heard the story about the mom not feeding her child i couldn't believe it. it's a huge problem. our stake pres told everyone in our stake to get rid of ps3 and xbox because it was a huge problem in marriages in our stake. makes me sad and so sick.

    ReplyDelete