ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Jan 4, 2016

29 & THAT ONE TIME I BAKED A CAKE, JUST FOR HIM.

For years, I listened to my sister Shalice rave about these cakes her sister-in-law, Courtney, would make at the "Rich family dinners." The Riches are Shalice's in-laws and are famous in our family for their cooking and intricate desserts that are served every Sunday! I always had to listen while salivating and could only imagine what these meals and desserts tasted like. But then, a few months before Daron's birthday, Courtney came out with her own site, Cake by Courtney, where she dishes on the recipes and tricks she uses to make these cakes. I was thrilled! I immediately knew I wanted to tackle one of these incredible cakes for Daron's birthday. 

The one I chose ended up being a little intense. I had to order specialized ingredients off of Amazon and it had quite a few steps. Two days before the big day, I was getting quite nervous. The kids and I had been sick so no one had been sleeping. I kept re-reading the directions on how to make the cake but certain parts sounded like jibberish to me. I called my friend who lives an hour and a half away to come help me. She had a prior engagement but said she would try and work something out. The morning of she texted me and said she wouldn't be able to make it. I thought I was going to cry but was so grateful she even tried. Best friends do crazy, nice stuff like that. 

Two hours later, I randomly got a call from my mom telling me she would stop by in the evening because she had something in San Diego.

I had been saved! I couldn't believe it.

Not only did she stay and help me bake the cake, she folded my laundry and cleaned my house so that I could stay sane. We started the cake at 7 and finished at 3 o' clock in the morning(!!!!!) Then, Naomi woke up at 5. Mom life! 

The day of Daron's birthday was crazy. We had a really busy day and somehow Carter managed to turn the house into shambles. I was a total zombie running on two hours of sleep BUT I was determined to have the house clean, with 29 balloons, presents and a birthday cake waiting for Daron when he got home.

If this day sounds a little torturous it's because it was! {insert crying laughing emoji} To top it off, Daron's flight was delayed so he got home even later than anticipated. I mustered the energy to stay awake for him, but when he walked through the door we were both dead tired. Luckily, we pushed through and opened his gifts because I knocked his socks off with an unexpected present and we both got a second wind!

After presents, I surprised him with his cake. I cheesily sang to him and then we shared a slice. Moments after we finished, we busted up laughing. Here we were, staring at this ginormous, very decadent, 6-layered cookies and cream cake that had no one to eat it but us. 
Note to self: bake a cake when you are having a party!

Fortunately, the weekend made up for the actual birthday. Daron gets one half day on a Friday each month. Usually, he doesn't end up taking them but this one happened to land on his birthday weekend so he made sure he did. We had a fun lunch together as a family and then we left the kids home for dinner and massages. I also set up a surfing date with one of Daron's friends for Saturday morning and he had his most successful surfing experience yet! 

There were a few hiccups but hey, I'd call 29 a success!

**Only one more year of his 20's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!** 

No comments:

Post a Comment