ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Nov 17, 2016

FOUR!


The first thing I woke up to on Carter's big day was his smiling face asking me when he got to open his presents. I thought I loved my birthday a lot... but it turns out my son blows me out of the water. He couldn't stop hugging and kissing the balloons we set out for him the night before and the entire morning he would randomly burst, "I love my birthday!"


Our morning was a repeat of Daron's birthday, pumpkin pancakes and blowing out candles. Except this time we skipped the bacon. Carter doesn't like it either... thank goodness! 



My friends (who Carter calls his "second aunties") were the best and surprised us all by stopping by! It was so sweet and made Carter feel so special. While Carter was eating his pancakes, Lindsay and Jessica asked Carter what he is going to do when he is 5 and he said "Go to Disneyland." (I took note to remember that one!) and then they asked, "What about when you're 6?" and he said, "Oh, then I'll be all grown up like my dad..." hahaha. I got a kick out of that one. 



We decided Daron would take Carter to Legoland while Naomi and I would stay home. I hold every one back if we are anywhere where you walk... and Naomi was still under the weather from not feeling well. I captured Daron and Carter before they left but Daron forgot to take pictures at Legoland! It broke my heart a little... I was so excited to see his face on the rides. Daron snapped a ton while he was there but then tried to look at the videos and didn't realize you can't go back and save your snaps unless they are on your story... haha! Snap chat isn't Daron's thing. But seriously, it's the first app where I had to explain to Daron how it worked... unheard of!



We immediately opened presents when Daron and Carter got back.  The day overall was wonderful but there were quite a few "mom fails." Daron and I had no gift for him. I'll spare that whole story but mom. fail.

Luckily, Grandpa and Grandma's gift came on time(!) and Carter rushed inside from Legoland ready to rip open their gift. I took lots of adorable pictures of Carter opening their present and was so excited to look at them and then my camera informed me there was no memory card. 

Mom fail #2.

Linnea and Steve got Carter a hot wheels set that he played with the rest of the afternoon until dinner. 



For dinner we ordered pizza and the pizza guy asked if I was babysitting. #winning (Somehow he missed the 8 months pregnant bump?) While eating pizza, Naomi was doing her best to say, "Happy Birthday!" I'm still sad I didn't catch that on video. 


After dinner was cake and more candles!
^Not pictured is the frosting that got all over in my hair from that kiss. Worth it of course.

We put a sick Naomi to bed early and made the best decision of the night which was to cuddle with Carter in our bed until he fell asleep. We talked all about the day and his favorite parts -blowing out candles and opening his presents!- and then I told Carter all the reasons I loved him while tickling his back. When I was done, he looked up and said, "Mom, I love you for giving me my birthday."


He doesn't understand obviously why that is so fitting but it made me melt anyway. I could tell he was trying to say "thank you" but it came out like that and it was so sweet.

The next day Carter kept asking if he was getting more presents. At first, I was thinking he was ungrateful but then he finally asked if Daron or I had a gift for him -enter a knife to the chest. I should have put together that my birthday-obsessed child would notice his parents didn't get him a gift. He also was really sad that we didn't get him a birthday card. Mom fails, people. What number are we on? 4? 

Happy Birthday, Carter! Oh, how I love celebrating your special day with you. Next year, I'll try really hard to have zero mom fails but even if I do, promise to love me anyway! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment