ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Feb 7, 2011

"Judge Ye Not"

Wednesday, February 2, Chelsea Buma reported to the MTC for the Rome, Italy mission.
On Sunday, Chelsea told in her farewell talk the story of when her and I first met. That day feels like yesterday.

I can remember seeing her for the first time.  The first thing that entered my mind was "Ooo is that girl nice?" To be honest, I was sure I knew the answer to that question--- it was negative. Apparently, she thought the exact same thing about me. 

We met. Said hello. And immediately walked off to our mom's and told them how long this semester was going to be.

Two weeks later, I can recall Chelsea and I being out to dinner with some new friends and them asking how long we had known each other...When I replied "2 weeks!" with a big fat smile he was shocked. That was the moment I realized Chelsea and I had something special. 


Chelsea and I not only ended up living together for the next year and half, but our lives became inseparable.
    

(along with the rest of the yorba linda  crew :) 

(attractive I know)

How grateful I am that Chelsea and  I both gave each other a chance. We didn't let our "sour" first impressions of each other stand in the way. 

(Just look at how much we would have missed out on!)




It really made me think though...how many first impressions have I let stand in the way of me meeting an incredible individual? or even just giving a helping hand? 

I don't know the answer to that question. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. 

What I do know is that Chelsea's words in her talk are true.
"Our time here on Earth is much better spent looking at our own faults and weaknesses rather than looking at others."
It is so easy to look at others and immediately come to a conclusion of how they are going to be or who they are. The two places that I find myself doing this the most are 1) the grocery store and 2) the airport. Living in Lehi, there are tons of mothers at the grocery store with their bundles of children. I love it. I can count on seeing a kid do something hilarious there every time I go. But there are also the frustrated, exhausted mothers that lose it. Everyone's head is turned thinking just how awkward the moment is when she does. I, too, look away and act as if I am not there.

I sit here now and think- okay, obviously it is not a
good thing to yell at your kid in public. Clearly, that is something you should avoid. But I don't have any idea what that mother has gone through by this point. Is it any better for me to think "Ooo that is awkward" and just look away??

President Monson quoted Mother Theresa in this past General Relief Society Meeting saying, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Placing my judgement on this mother instead of reaching out with a helping hand is just as much something that is obviously wrong. It's unfortunate at how obvious this is, and yet, so easy to do.   


Our beloved Prophet says it best.
"Life is perfect for none of us. Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life. May we recognize that each one is doing her best to deal with the challenges which come her way, and may we strive to do our best to help out."


During these next 18 months I am not be able to see Chelsea and only communicate to her through letters, but I can and will do better to follow her advice of "Judge ye not."

No comments:

Post a Comment