ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Mar 7, 2011

The Cougar In Me

6 more months and I am a college graduate. 
6 more months and my time at BYU will have officially come to an end.
This is very bitter/sweet for me.

My time here at BYU has been an experience that I will never forget. I feel that it is time to move on with my graduated husband and explore the life that doesn't include school. It's funny that I complain all the time about school; yet, I can't really imagine my life without it. 


I honestly feel sad when I think about how I won't be walking BYU's campus on a weekly basis. This place, for me, is like no other. There are opportunities and circumstances here that are so unique, so special. This institution has made me a better person. Not just because the wonderful opportunities of things like devotionals (which are amazing) but also because of the people I was able to associate with. 




This past weekend I had the unique opportunity of tagging along with my parents to their PLC (President Leadership Council) meetings. One night, they took everyone to the basement of the library where we were able to look at "Special Collections." I had no idea this place existed. It was incredible.

Did you know that the young man who dropped the atomic bomb was a Mormon!? A good looking one at that! My mom and I about died when we saw his picture. He was adorable. (don't worry, I am allowed to say that). It was sad though. He was so young. Basically a boy. He didn't talk about it for 50 YEARS. His wife had no idea that he was the one that did it. He didn't talk about it until the end of his life. 

We got to see so many things like this. There were actual diary entries and letters of the prophets and Apostles- with their own hand writing. There was an original Book of Mormon and the Book of Commandments. The librarian over special collections said that they recieved their Book  of Commandments for $1500. Today it is worth 1 to 2 million. 

The last day, President Uchtdorf spoke to all the members. (Luckily, family members were invited! I didn't feel as out of place). He was hilarious. I have never seen him so funny. He was crackin' jokes everywhere. He mentioned how General Conference was coming up. He said he feels like it comes up every two weeks. He then proceeded to ask if anyone had any good ideas for a talk he could give and to please submit it to him! 

(Sister Uchtdorf had the cutest laugh. It was so contagious)

I left the weekend feeling so uplifted and full of so much gratitude for the opportunity I have had to attend this university. There is good and bad in everything. Of course, if you want to, you can find plenty of things that are "wrong" with provo or this university. But that is a choice. 

BYU will always have a special place in my heart. I am a cougar fan through and through. (Whether we have Jimmer or not :). 







2 comments:

  1. that is so nuts about the atomic bomb. i had no idea. byu will miss you too!

    ReplyDelete