ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

May 16, 2011

Dear Married Life

Oh how you pass me by so quickly.
How 1 year has come and gone and it feels as though it only has been seconds.
Truth be told, I was warned.
Papa Pugmire told me time and time again
that life would  pass me by before  I knew what happened. I still can remember
where we were the various times he would tell me this...and the snap of his fingers
that emphasized just how fast this life would go. 

As I recall the different experiences you have brought me-
the good the bad the mediocre, I feel an impulsive desire to never forget these memorable moments. 
Memories that range from Daron's first day of work at a BIG BOY JOB!

moving into our first home

 
 
forgetting to close the garage (during a terrible snow storm)

to decorating our first live Christmas Tree. It is true that it only had ribbon and lights (for ornaments were just too expensive) that made for a somewhat naked tree. But somehow this tree looked like the most beautiful tree in the world. 

This husband I have...we have experienced almost every emotion together.
happiness
tears
joy
regret
peacefulness
content
forgiveness
frustrations
unconditional love
Yet at the same time, I feel as though we haven't even scraped the surface. 
How do we make sure that we are making the most of every second we have together?
How do we make sure that we don't take this wonderful life of ours for granted?
How do we ensure that we are not living for tomorrow to only create "empty yesterdays..." (President Thomas S Monson)
These questions often arise in my mind.
I am frequently asking myself whether Daron and  I are doing all we can to make sure that we never take this life for granted.
There are times when we both do or say something we shouldn't. There are times when we don't treat each other for who we really are and take into account the potential that both of us have. 

I have no doubt we are not alone. For this ability to always treat your spouse as who they can become, is anything but easy. It takes both being unselfish, charitable, humble and kind. 

I feel as though I have so many reminders in this life telling me to make the most of every minute. for example: my job as a caregiver- I take care of people who are at the close of their life. The next step to enter the other side is inevitable. Their days are slow. They have hours upon hours to ponder and reflect on the life they have lived. I think about these people. I think about how Daron and I will reach that stage in our lives.
There will come a time where we look back and wonder,
Did we make the most of the precious gift we have called life?

As I get older (which I realize is not very old :) I see how the simple parts of marriage that can seem so mundane bring the peace and joy that all of us seek for. I am grateful for the knowledge that I have of what really brings joy. 
Cleaning together
greeting each other (especially after long days)
scooter rides
picnics in the park
burned-tomato faces
cooking together
eating together
running together
snuggling together
teasing each other
and one day raising honorable men and women together
(cross our fingers with lots of prayers)

These things are simple. These every day tasks to not involve rewards from the world, fame or recognition from society, but I believe they do help in savoring every moment. 
Elder  Richard G. Scott is a great example of someone who has experienced the importance of not taking a moment for granted. After a wife and 2 children leaving him all too early, he reminds us of the importance to cherish you, married life. 

"It is so rewarding to be married. Marriage is wonderful. In time you begin to think alike and have the same ideas and impressions. You have times when you are extremely happy, times of testing, and times of trial, but the Lord guides you through all of those growth experiences together."

So, I ask you married life, since I cannot predict the challenges that will come...tell me, how to not take you for granted and make the most of every second you give to me and this wonderful husband I am so blessed to have. 



1 comment:

  1. Dani this is so cute! I love you too together! Here's to quite a few more years.. love you!

    --Shelby

    ReplyDelete