ABOUT        WE BELIEVE       SAY HELLO

Sep 23, 2016

WHAT MAKES A GOOD PARENT


I recently was asked this question. And it made me think. 

The thought that keeps coming back to me is a good parent is one that loves their children unconditionally. The love that is enduring. The forgiving kind that loves them no matter how many times they make the same mistake over and over again and never gives up on them.

This simple thought has given me a sense of relief throughout the week. Of course, this idea is easier said than done (especially when thinking about teenagers and adult children) but in the end, it's really all that matters. Whether you use binkies or not, or sleep train or not, or cry it out or not, or breastfeed or not, or work or not, or let your kids watch tv or not, etc... are all just sideline details. 

It's important to figure out what works best for your family and I believe that small decisions do matter but in observing families around me, I've found that successful families look different and the ones that seem to be happiest are the ones who accept the members of their family for who they are, love them through everything, are always supportive, and always have hope that situations will get better no matter how bleak they may seem at the time. 

I recently was at a meeting where Elder Oaks spoke and he said, "To not have hope is to not have faith in Jesus Christ."

I want to instill in my kids that there is always hope in the plan God has for us even if it looks different than the plan we have for ourselves and... 

that I love them with my whole heart and soul no matter what they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment